In 2019, 119 participants from 66 organizations and 17 countries attended the ANDE West Africa Regional Conference to discuss key issues in the West African SGB sector. The conference took place from July 23-24, 2019 in Lagos, Nigeria.
Below are some highlights from the conference.
Keynote Speaker Nnaemeka Ikegwuonu shared his entrepreneurial journey, including key successes and hurdles, and how the entrepreneurial ecosystem has supported him along the way.
ANDE members also shared new ideas and challenges to the SGB sector through ten-minute micro-talks:
- Tayo Olosunde from Mind the Gap presented a radical narrative about the unique potentials and possibilities of African Youth to achieve socioeconomic development in Africa.
- Greg Garrett from the Global Alliance for Improved Nutrition (GAIN) presented practical ways to encourage social investors to diversify their investment portfolios and see nutrition as key to scaling life-changing interventions required for long term sustainable economic development.
- Astou Dia from Dalberg Advisors discussed mass entrepreneurship, or the millions of ordinary businesses that use local inputs and serve local needs in every community.
- Daniel Asare-Kyei from Esoko Insyt showed how their technology offers simple, yet powerful, fast, affordable, and flexible means of collecting data remotely and generating insights to support rapid decision making.
- Ibrahim Misto from Emergent Technology shared how they are making financial services available to informal and formal savings groups.
Wangara Green Ventures received this year’s West Africa Member Organization of the Year Award for their support to the West Africa Chapter and engagement in the SGB Sector in just a year of membership.
Anna Samake from MBC Africa was recognized as ANDE West Africa’s Member of the Year. She provides support to the West Africa Chapter, engaging in local and global events and connecting ANDE to potential members. She is well invested in the growth of the SGB sector and serves as the West Africa Steering Committee Chair.