The Center for International Private Enterprise (CIPE) strengthens democracy around the world through private enterprise and market-oriented reform. CIPE is one of the four core institutes of the National Endowment for Democracy and is an affiliate of the U.S. Chamber of Commerce. Since 1983, CIPE has worked with business leaders, policymakers, and civil society to build the institutions vital to a democratic society. CIPE’s key program areas include Enterprise Ecosystems, Democratic Governance, Business Advocacy, Anti-Corruption & Ethics and Trade.
Position: External Relations Officer (ERO)
Reports to: Chief of Staff
Scope: This is a full-time, exempt Washington, D.C. based position. This position is responsible for coordinating work related to CIPE’s external advancement and other strategic organizational development projects. The ERO will provide support to the Executive Director (ED) and Chief of Staff (CoS) by serving as the project manager on efforts intended to raise CIPE’s public profile and ensure long-term financial stability. The ERO will also oversee the effective management and functioning of the CIPE Board of Directors together with the Corporate Governance Officer (CGO) and the Chief of Staff, will work to raise CIPE’s visibility in Congress and across the Federal Government with the Director of Congressional and Government Relations (DCGR), and will work to diversify CIPE’s funding sources and expand programs with the Director of Development and Partnerships (DDP), and will manage the efforts of the External Relations (ER) team, acting as a liaison between ER and the rest of the organization.
Office of the Executive Director
- Provide support to the Executive Director (ED) and the Senior Management team on special projects.
- Work with the ED, the Chief of Staff (COS), the Director of Development and Partnership (DDP), and the Board to expand CIPE’s network of relationships, partners, and supporters, diversify sources of funding, and grow the scope of programs.
- Collaborate with the COS to strengthen the strategic direction of the organization.
- Engage effectively with various levels of management, staff, and clients, requiring strong interpersonal skills.
- Manage multiple projects concurrently and meet deadlines.
- Schedule for the ED and provide initial review of speeches, talking points and other communications created for the ED.
Director of Development and Partnerships
- Ensure consistent tracking of strategically significant conversations with prospective partners and donors.
- Facilitate Board engagement and manage follow-up communications and action items along with the Chief of Staff.
- Develop responses, presentations, reference material, and other documents for potential new business, as well as engage in partnership and business development calls and meetings as needed.
- Work across various departments, ensure the high quality of CIPE’s systems and documentation for business development.
Director of Congressional and Government Relations (DCGR)
- Work to increase CIPE’s visibility and position CIPE as a resource and thought leader for Congress and the Executive Branch to position CIPE as an expert implementer of effective programs and a valuable thought leader in international development.
- Develop, implement, and manage internal systems and protocols to ensure timely and strategic promotion on the Hill and across the Executive Branch of CIPE products and events.
- Work with programs teams to develop Hill and Administration engagement strategies and implement outreach campaigns accordingly.
- Arrange meetings in Congress and the Executive Branch for the Director of Congressional and Government Relations, program staff and partners, senior leadership and eventually represent CIPE in Congressional and Administration meetings.
- Provide objective, authoritative public policy and legislation analysis and consultation as needed, manage tracking of relevant legislation and hearings, and ensure that programs teams are kept informed.
- Represent CIPE within the NED government relations consortium and the InterAction DRG working group.
Corporate Governance / Board Management
- Work with the Corporate Governance Officer (CGO) to coordinate the activities of the Board to ensure smooth functioning and fulfillment of fiduciary duty of the CIPE Board of Directors according to the goals of the organization and the CIPE Bylaws.
- Manage coordination of Board meetings and Committees, Board resolutions, and other Board governance matters.
- Coordinate and execute CIPE Board retreat.
- Act as the Board’s point of contact, and ensure directors are kept informed
External Relations (ER)
- Manage coordination of External Relations team meetings/retreats and strategic planning, and streamline information-sharing and cooperation among its various departments on the production of materials intended for external use.
- Act as a liaison between ER and the rest of the organization to ensure noteworthy activities undertaken by programs team are communicated to ER so they can be shared with external audiences in a timely and polished fashion.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent, required, in international relations, trade, economics, business administration, public policy or related field.
- Three plus years of experience in public affairs, project management, or external relations required.
- Firm understanding of Board management and organizational compliance, and strategic organizational management
- Demonstrated ability to manage up and work closely with all levels of staff.
- Demonstrated initiative and ability to manage multiple time-sensitive, detail-oriented tasks simultaneously with limited supervision.
- Must possess strong level of discretion and ability to work on confidential matters.
- Demonstrated strong organizational, interpersonal, critical thinking and communication skills.
- Excellent writing abilities.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a diverse team environment across multiple time zones.
- Demonstrated interest in democracy and/or international development, and in organizational leadership.
- Experience with international development and topics consistent with CIPE’s mission, including women’s economic empowerment, trade facilitation, anti-corruption and business ethics, democratic governance, business association advocacy, entrepreneurship, supply chains, labor migration, and others are preferred.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, team environment, as well as independently with minimum supervision; ability to prioritize and handle multiple tasks.
- Strong project management skills.
- Communicates effectively with team members, government personnel, and senior leadership.
- Strong computer skills, proficiency in MS-Office, specifically Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook and strong research skills.
Benefits and Perks
Competitive Benefits including medical, dental, vision, short & long-term disability, flexible spending, paid family leave, life insurance, 401(k), commuter benefits, telework, and more! Employee events including Company Picnic, Health & Wellness Fair, Holiday Party and lots of fun in between!
CIPE offers a salary competitive with other international non-governmental organizations and an excellent benefits package. Applicants must be legally able to work in the United States; CIPE is unable to sponsor employees for work visas.
Applications will be accepted and interviews will be conducted on an ongoing basis until the position is filled. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
CIPE is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sexual orientation, religion, sex, age, national origin, genetic information, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, veteran status, gender identity or expression, and marital status or any other legally protected class or characteristic covered by applicable law. CIPE is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations for all qualified individuals and bases all employment decisions on qualifications, merit, and business need. CIPE believes diversity and inclusion across our organization is critical to our programs, mission, and success as a globally operating business. We strive to recruit, develop, and retain talent from a diverse candidate pool.