Blue Haven Initiative employs a bias-blind recruitment plan in which applicants are required to remove identifying information from their resumes. Please read the job description in its entirety to ensure your application complies with our guidelines. Failure to do so will result in an automatic disqualification of your candidacy.
About the Role
The Impact & Operations Intern supports portfolio management across all asset classes, in addition to providing broader operational support to the organization. This role offers the unique opportunity to work with a family office with a 100% impact and ESG portfolio and consider the intricacies of impact reporting across different a varied portfolio of different asset classes, geographies, and thematic areas. This role will work closely with the Operations team to manage and analyze financial, operational, and impact data for Blue Haven’s investments.
A successful person in this role will enjoy digging into financial data but also have a passion for the impact of each investment, in addition to having a keen interest in impact management. The ideal candidate will be able to analyze and audit financial data while also thinking about how this information feeds into Blue Haven’s strategic goals.
Job Responsibilities – Impact
- Cross-collaborate with other departments internally to understand their impact requirements and create useful tools to improve the business process workflow
- Create cross-team standardized impact tracking survey
- Support the implementation of our impact matrix throughout the portfolio
- Analyze financial, operational, and impact data to understand trends within the portfolio
- Serve as thought partner as BHI thinks about impact and consider emerging and established trends in the broader industry to improve our systems and strategies
Job Responsibilities – Data Analysis
- Manage and maintain datasets, perform data validation/quality assurance analysis for datasets within and across several tech platforms
- Track manager and direct deal reporting requirements
- Research/collect data for the portfolio and update data from external sources
- Ensure data integrity, including addressing any issues with accounting
Job Responsibilities – Operations
- Spearhead the synchronization of internal processes for items such as due diligence and data upload templates
- Support with tech platform relationships and handle tech platform integration
- Serve as a power user for our portfolio management platform, including creating new fields, editing page layouts, managing data quality, creating reports, etc.
- Provide ideas for enhancing tech platform adoption across departments such as through trainings or improved processes
- Support special projects as needed and determined by Operations team
Skills and Qualifications
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- Multiple years of professional experience
- Passion for learning new tech systems and improving processes
- Understanding of financial concepts such as IRR, asset allocations, etc., as well as knowledge of basic accounting concepts
- Strong ability to identify, troubleshoot and resolve data inconsistencies
- Demonstrated knowledge of impact investment
- Interest in impact measurement and management
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Highly organized with the ability to pay close attention to detail
- Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Excel (experience with pivot tables and financial functions preferred)
- Proactive approach to driving projects forward balanced with collaborative spirit
- Humility and willingness to approach learning with a growth mindset
- Preferred: Experience with Salesforce and/or Addepar (or other portfolio management/CRM software)
- Interns are expected to work 35-40 hours/week and will be paid $40/hour
- This role is fully remote and Blue Haven prefers that interns use their own computer
- Start and end dates are flexible, though the ideal candidate will work from approximately end of May through early August
- While this role is explicitly for the Summer, BHI is open to continuing the internship into the Fall (candidate dependent)
We believe that university degrees are not accessible to everyone. Therefore, this role does not require a university education. At Blue Haven Initiative, we believe that generating social impact starts with diverse teams and partners. This means cultivating an equitable workplace that encourages collaboration and creativity, and we actively recruit and empower people who represent the diverse next generation of leadership. Applicants will never be disqualified nor discriminated against by race, class, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, veteran or disability status, criminal history, or educational attainment.
Please apply through our external application. Due to bandwidth, we will not be able to consider any applications submitted elsewhere. We are accepting and reviewing applications on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
To help us facilitate an inclusive, bias-blind recruitment process, please remove/black-out the following from your resume and application materials:
- Your name and contact information (including from the file name)
- Name and location of education institutions and companies
Reminder: Only complete applications that include a blind resume and thoughtful answers to the required questions will be considered.