AV Ventures, LLC (AVV) is a mission-driven investment management company
based in Washington, DC that works to cultivate inclusive growth by managing
socially driven investments in agribusinesses in emerging markets.
AV Ventures is a wholly owned subsidiary of ACDI/VOCA, an international
development non-profit organization based in Washington, D.C, United States that
fosters broad-based economic growth, particularly through catalyzing investment
and market systems development in agriculture and food supply chains in emerging
markets. AVV has offices in Kenya (Nairobi), Ghana (Accra) and Kyrgyzstan
The Scaling the Impacts of USAID Resilience Programming through Local Systems
project (USAID Kuza) implemented by ACDI/VOCA, has engaged AVV to provide
fund management services for the Impact for Northern Kenya Fund (INK Fund). INK
Fund makes wholesale loans to financial institutions (FIs) for on lending to micro,
small and medium-sized enterprises (MSMEs) and direct loans to high-impact SMEs
in Kenya. INK Fund focuses primarily on the ten Frontier Counties (Isiolo, Marsabit,
Lamu, Garissa, Mandera, Samburu, Wajir, Tana River, West Pokot and Turkana).
The loans must generate a positive social, environmental, and economic impact, as
well as a financial return. The objective of the project is to provide capital in a
region in which SMEs and microenterprises/farmers (as customers of the FIs) have
traditionally lacked access to funds, and in rare cases when it is available, these
funds are extremely costly – with the goal of scaling agribusiness MSMEs and
lowering the risk perception of FIs for the region.
As an Investment Associate for INK fund, you will play a crucial role in evaluating
potential investment opportunities and providing valuable insights to support
investment decision-making. You will be responsible for conducting thorough
credit risk analysis, monitoring portfolio performance, and assisting in the
development of investment and portfolio management strategies. This position
requires a deep understanding of Credit risk management, wholesale lending,
financial markets, strong financial modelling & analytical skills, and the ability to
work in a fast-paced, results-driven environment.
The Investment Associate will report to The Investment Manager based in Nairobi
Key Roles and Responsibilities:
1. Investment Analysis: Conduct comprehensive due diligence on potential
investment opportunities, including analysing financial statements,
assessing market trends, and evaluating risk factors. Prepare detailed
investment proposals and recommendations for consideration by the
2. Financial Modelling: Develop and maintain complex financial models to
assess investment returns, cash flows, and risk profiles. Perform sensitivity
analysis and stress testing to evaluate the impact of various scenarios on
3. Market Research: Stay informed about industry trends, regulatory
changes, and macroeconomic factors that could impact investment
decisions. Conduct market research to identify potential investment risks&
opportunities evaluate investment landscapes and assess market
4. Portfolio Monitoring: Monitor the performance of existing investments,
including analysing financial statements, tracking key performance
indicators against projections, and assessing risks on ongoing basis. Ensure
portfolio Companies meet their loan repayment and impact reporting
obligation as per agreements; Proactively report on portfolio Companies’
performance and identify any distress signs for appropriate remedial
measures to be taken. Work closely with the Monitoring, Evaluation and
Learning Team in financial and social impact data gathering, tracking and
measurement of the portfolio Companies.
5. Investment Strategy: Collaborate with the investment team to develop
and refine investment strategies based on market conditions, risk appetite,
and portfolio objectives. Participate in investment committee meetings and
contribute to discussions on portfolio management and diversification
6. Due Diligence: Collaborate in coordinating and conducting due diligence
efforts, including assessing the operational and financial viability of potential
7. Reporting and Presentation: Assist in preparing investment reports,
presentations, and other communication materials regarding portfolio
performance updates, and recommendations in a clear and concise manner.
Provide continuous updates on the actual and projected financial and impact
performance metrics of all portfolio Companies. Regularly (biweekly/weekly) update the Investment Manager and the AVV/Washington
DC team through calls, reports, and updates.
8. Relationship Management: Build and maintain relationships with
portfolio Companies. Stay informed about emerging investment
opportunities and market developments through networking and attending
industry events. Travel to FCDC Counties as necessary for evaluation and
9. Any other duties as may be assigned from time to time.
Required Experience, qualifications, and Skills:
• Bachelor’s degree in finance, economics, or a related field. A master’s
degree or CFA designation is desirable.
• Proven experience as an investment analyst or associate (or similar) in the
• Strong understanding of financial markets, investment principles, and risk
• Proficient in financial modeling, valuation techniques, and investment
• Excellent analytical skills with the ability to gather, interpret, and present
complex data effectively.
• Advanced proficiency in spreadsheet software (e.g., Microsoft Excel) and
financial analysis tools.
• Knowledge of regulatory frameworks and compliance requirements related
to investment management and financial services industry in Kenya.
• Strong attention to detail and ability to handle multiple projects under tight
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Ability to work both independently and collaboratively as part of a team.
• High ethical standards and commitment to maintaining confidentiality.
• Current or recent relevant work in Kenya and particularly ASALs will be an
• Collaborative and a team player.
AV Ventures offers a competitive compensation package that includes a base
salary, pension, medical coverage, and other benefits. Applicants may be asked to
provide references after initial application review.
Applications will be accepted and reviewed on a rolling basis.
Please don’t apply if you do not meet the above criteria.
Please submit a resume to HRKenya@acdivoca.org
CC: RMusundi@av-ventures.com not later than October 31st 2023.
In the subject line, please include the position title. Only those candidates
considered for an interview will be contacted.
AV Ventures is an equal opportunity employer.
Women, minorities, and people from diverse groups are encouraged to apply