Reports To: Senior Manager, Finance & Analytics
Job Type: Full-Time Employment
Region: Central America & Mexico – South America – United States
Location: United States, Costa Rica, Peru
Start Date: Immediate
Contact: Please apply by using the company site.
About the Organization
Root Capital is a Non-Bank Financial Institution (NBFI) founded in 1999 as an NGO with a mission to support the growth of agricultural enterprises so they can transform rural communities. This support takes the form of finance and technical advisory services (“Credit + Capacity”). The businesses Root works with, from farmer cooperatives and associations to local processors and millers, purchase crops such as coffee, cocoa, nuts, or grains from smallholder farmers and in most cases export to global markets. With growth, they become engines of impact that can raise incomes, create jobs, empower women and young people, and preserve vulnerable ecosystems. Root Capital supplies these businesses with vital resources: access to capital, trade and technical partners, financial, management and other forms of capacity building training, and advice and support to enhance bankability, gender equity and opportunity, climate resilience, and youth employment. Root works in hard-to-serve geographies where others don’t go and serves clients whom the local financial institutions are reluctant to support. To date, Root has loaned over $1.8 billion to improve the lives of over ten million people in farming communities.
Root has been a widely recognized pioneer in areas like bankability, access to finance and gender equity, and is building on this success to enhance its focus on climate resilience and youth employment. Root takes pride in its rigorous monitoring and evaluation of projects, in learning from its experience, and in proactively seeking the input of its clients and counterparts to remain “global enough to matter, regional enough to act” with agility and creativity. Headquartered in Cambridge, Massachusetts, Root Capital currently works in over 15 countries in Latin America, Africa, and Southeast Asia, and has associated offices in Costa Rica, Mexico, Nicaragua, Peru, Senegal, and Kenya. Root’s global staff is 145 and growing rapidly to address our ambitious 5-year strategy to both broaden and deepen our reach in our target agricultural communities.
The Financial Analyst manages key modeling, analysis and reporting processes that are crucial to Root Capital’s overall financial position and the success of the organization. The Analyst supports financial and impact analysis and reporting, dynamic planning, and project design in collaboration with global programs teams and External Affairs (Development). The Analyst regularly leads independent business analysis projects, communicates complex financial and lending information to key internal stakeholders, and is required to work collaboratively across Root’s functional groups on a variety of analytical projects.
Financial Planning & Budgeting (25%)
- Coordinate organization-wide annual planning and budgeting, including the dissemination of communication and training materials in Spanish and English.
- Produce and communicate key planning inputs to budget managers, including detailed strategic targets, grant commitments and resources, and historical spending analysis.
- Prepare clear communication of financial projections to multi-stakeholder audiences, including development of key data visualization products, in English and Spanish.
Reporting and Analysis of Financial and Program Performance (25%)
- Prepare and present periodic financial and program performance reports to internal audiences, including relevant financial, operational, and strategic analyses.
- Monitor and identify key drivers of financial performance variances through independent analysis and collaboration with program staff; communicate material divergences from plan as necessary.
- Assess opportunities to improve existing financial and program performance evaluation tools for internal audiences, donors and investors, using Adaptive Planning, Salesforce, and additional databases as required.
Operating Models Maintenance and Development (20%)
- Execute monthly data integration workflows and quality assurance processes in Adaptive Planning to ensure data integrity.
- Design and develop custom reports and reporting templates for program staff.
- Train new staff as necessary in the structure, use, and functionality of Adaptive Planning, including financial planning, reporting, and grant management.
Long-Term Strategic Modeling (15%)
- Assist long-term financial forecasting with global program staff, including advisory, lending and impact activities, costing exercises and capacity analysis.
- Maintain the development and consolidation of multiple complex long-term planning models, including the advisory, lending, and operating expense models.
- Produce key communications materials in Spanish and English related to long-term forecasting and strategic planning in coordination with the Strategy team.
Other Projects & Ad-Hoc Analysis (15%)
- Support the Finance team in improving data visualization and communications materials.
- Support FP&A, External Affairs, and Investor Relations with due diligence and compliance reporting for donors and investors.
- Other projects and ad-hoc analysis as approved by team and department leadership.
Required Skills and Experience
- Minimum two years of relevant work experience in finance, accounting, or other analytically oriented fields.
- Advanced Excel modeling required; experience working with Adaptive Planning or other financial reporting and data analysis information system(s) preferred.
- Demonstrated experience conducting high quality data analysis and reporting complex financial information to technical and non-technical stakeholders.
- Passion for Root Capital’s mission of environmentally and socially responsible investing and international development.
- Advanced proficiency in PowerPoint, Slides, and/or equivalent presentation software.
- Expertise in data transformation and visualization tools (DataBlend, Power BI, Tableau) a plus.
- English fluency required. Proficiency in Spanish required.
- Ability to relate quantitative models to real-world decisions.
- Ability to travel internationally once per year.
How to Apply
More information about Root Capital is available at www.rootcapital.org. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. Candidates are encouraged to apply using the company site as soon as possible, making sure to include a resume and cover letter that describes your interest, qualifications, language abilities, salary requirements, and how you learned of the position. Finalist candidates will be required to provide at least three work-related references.
U.S applicants: Root Capital Inc. participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government your I-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S. For more information, see here. Learn more about your right to work.
Root Capital provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, active military or veteran status, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy (which includes pregnancy, childbirth, medical conditions related to pregnancy and childbirth, and breastfeeding and expressing breast milk), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law. Root Capital is committed to creating a dynamic work environment that upholds our leadership principles of empowerment, equity, integrity, service, and transparency.