The Aspen Institute
The Aspen Institute is a global nonprofit organization committed to realizing a free, just, and equitable society. Since its founding in 1949, the Institute has been driving change through dialogue, leadership, and action to help solve the most critical challenges facing communities in the United States and around the world. With a location in Washington, DC, the Institute has a campus in Aspen, Colorado, and an international network of partners.
Commitment to Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
To achieve our mission of a more free, just, and equitable society, we commit to working proactively to advance the principles of diversity, equity, and inclusion across our myriad endeavors such as the recruitment, compensation, training, and advancement of staff. The best people-serving institutions make this commitment, and we seek to be a leader in the ways that we do so and learn from others. Visit our website to learn more about our commitment and recent actions taken toward building and nurturing a diverse and inclusive environment.
The Aspen Network of Development Entrepreneurs (ANDE) is a program within the Aspen Institute. The Aspen Network of Development Entrepreneurs (ANDE) is a global network of organizations that propel entrepreneurship in emerging markets. ANDE members provide critical financial, educational, and business support services to small and growing businesses (SGBs) based on the conviction that SGBs will create jobs, stimulate long-term economic growth, and produce environmental and social benefits. Ultimately, we believe that SGBs can help lift countries out of poverty. Launched with 34 members in 2009, ANDE now comprises nearly 300 members who collectively operate in more than 150 countries.
ANDE is looking for a Communications Intern, based in our Bangkok, Thailand office. This is a part-time, term-limited position.
The Communications intern facilitates the day-to-day work of ANDE’s regional communications including but not limited to the following:
- Day-to-day work involves supporting ANDE East and Southeast Asia Chapter team with communications (i.e. social media, regional and global campaigns, blog posts, chapter update and monthly newsletters), research, project implementation, administration (e.g. keeping a record of member promotion services), database, and event projects
- Running event logistics (virtual and in-person) including setting up the event page, webinar support on Zoom, event promotion, note-taking, PowerPoint design, hold responsibility for the photography and videography of an event, and producing post-event communications
- Researching potential member opportunities, staying up to date on various topic areas of interest to ANDE members (i.e. gender equity, environmental action, job creation) and sharing resources within the team and with members
Knowledge, Education, and Experience:
The ideal candidate should demonstrate the following:
- A recent graduate or graduate student wanting to learn about entrepreneurship in emerging markets
- Must be willing to commit to at least a six-month internship
- Firm grasp of social media tools and platforms including LinkedIn, Facebook and Instagram
- Understanding of the basic principles of public relations and/or marketing
- Must be computer literate (working knowledge of word processing, PowerPoint, Excel)
- Proficiency in Canva is highly desired
- Knowledge of website content management, video editing and graphic design is a plus
- Excellent oral and writing skills including the ability to synthesize information
- High proficiency in English language is a must
- Enjoys supporting the team and members for the ultimate goal of building a robust entrepreneurial ecosystem
- Willing to lead some large-scale communication campaigns
Details about the role:
- Six-month contract (Expected start date of August 1, 2023 with the possibility to be extended but to but not exceeding a year)
- 40 hours a week
- Report to the Chapter Head
- Schedules are flexible to the intern’s availability as long as they are able to make team meetings and deliver work as assigned. There may be some evening meetings with colleagues and members overseas
- The work is mostly remote
- The office location is at Dice Coworking in Ari Soi 2 in Bangkok, Thailand
The Aspen Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer and complies with all District and federal laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, or protected veteran or disabled status and will not be discriminated against.