POSITION Investment Analysis Officer, Social Investment Team
REPORTING TO Vice President of Credit
Global Partnerships (GP) is an impact-first investor dedicated to expanding opportunity for people living in poverty. Impact-first investing means investing in a way that seeks the greatest possible social impact, while seeking to preserve capital with a modest financial return for investors. GP believes that impact-first investing has an essential role to play in advancing sustainable solutions to poverty for millions of people worldwide.
GP creates and manages impact-first investment funds that make loans and early-stage investments in social enterprises serving people living in poverty in less developed countries, primarily in Latin America and Africa. The GP team is comprised of mission-driven, dedicated, high-performing colleagues working primarily from offices in Seattle, Washington, Bogotá, Colombia, and Nairobi, Kenya. To learn more about Global Partnerships, please visit our website at www.globalpartnerships.org.
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Investment Analysis Officer (IAO) a key position within GP’s Social Investment Team (SIT). Within SIT, the IAO will join a small team which leads transaction analysis, credit portfolio management, and risk management work across the debt funds managed by GP. The role will incorporate the monitoring and analysis of social enterprise and microfinance partners using in-house risk and portfolio analytical tools. The role will also have a strong focus on supporting or leading the development and implementation of new information and analysis systems to support the growth of GP’s portfolio across disciplines such as credit risk, country risk, climate risk, and early-stage investing.
This role will be based in our regional office in Bogotá. Currently, a hybrid work arrangement (3 days in office per week) is expected. The role reports to the VP of Credit, who is based in Seattle. This is a full-time position and standard company benefits will apply (the exact package depends on the location of the role).
This role will be responsible for the following:
- Conduct credit portfolio monitoring of active investments to ensure credit ratings are up-to-date and GP can proactively identify material changes to credit portfolio quality
- In collaboration with the Portfolio Directors in our Regional Offices, support or lead the initial screening of potential debt investments to identify investment risks, due diligence topics, and provide initial financial analysis and credit structuring guidance
- Analyze new investment proposals, identify the key credit risks and mitigants, and provide a detailed credit rating analysis on potential investments. Provide transaction recommendations to the VP of Credit, (Interim) Chief Investment Officer and Investment Committee.
- Support the creation and maintenance of risk analysis tools, to ensure portfolio risk analytics are maintained with strong data quality and appropriate for the investments.
- Lead GP’s Country Risk function, which may involve refining the methodology, processes, and coordinating the performance of research and analysis by other team members.
- Design and maintain tools required for tracking GP’s compliance with fund exposure limits established by the Enterprise Risk, Compliance, and Audit (ERCA) Committee.
- Oversee and contribute to the development of iLevel-enabled tools for use by the Social Investment Team or the Social Venture Team and contribute to or lead any ongoing refinements to GP’s credit risk rating tools and processes.
- As required, lead the management of distressed/restructuring cases. Perform credit analysis on new sectors to support the growth of GP’s activity in new impact initiative areas.
- Demonstrated knowledge of finance and credit/investment risk management, likely to be gained from:
- A Bachelor’s and/or Master’s degree in a related field such as finance, economics, business or social entrepreneurship (or related field); and
- 3+ years of experience conducting company-specific financial analysis (debt or equity), investment/credit risk management, or credit rating assessments across various sectors, preferably with an emerging or frontier markets focus.
- Impact Investing experience a plus but not essential. However, some knowledge of industry dynamics and credit analysis approaches towards microfinance, agriculture, clean energy, healthcare, or related sectors, is highly preferred.
- Knowledge of environmental, social and governance risks in developing countries.
- Experience of making country risk assessments.
- Advanced Excel skills and an ability to manage multiple projects.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills. An ability to effectively summarize a range of complex information to reach a succinct recommendation for a diverse audience.
- Professional language fluency in English is required. Business fluent language skills in Spanish is required and French is highly preferred.
- Ability to travel internationally (estimated 10%).
- A desire to make an impact in an organization working to expand opportunity for people living in poverty.
- Precision and excellence in verbal and written communication. Ability to understand and synthesize a large amount of complex information into a clear and actionable recommendation on transaction or portfolio matters.
- Strong systems, strategic, and analytical thinking, with the ability to operationalize and inform strategy through disciplined design and management of data, systems, and processes.
- Organized and capable of balancing multiple priorities, with great attention to detail.
- Self-motivated work ethic, proactive; ability to see tasks through to completion independently.
- A team player who thrives in dynamic, high growth environments.
- Embodies GP’s culture: Dedicated, Strategic, Collaborative, Aspirational, Learning, and E
WHAT WE OFFER
Impact-First investment experience
- Be an individual contributor where your voice counts to support the Credit and Investment teams of an industry-recognized Impact-First investment manager.
- The opportunity to drive the analytics, systems, data, and reporting tools that allows GP to maximize its Impact-First investment mandates.
- The responsibility to innovate and lead portfolio and risk analytics workstreams into new areas and have the support and space to quickly become a subject matter expert.
- Develop in-depth knowledge of microfinance and social enterprises across Latin America and Sub-Saharan Africa.
Competitive benefits and work-life balance
- An organizational culture focused on a healthy work-life balance, with a hybrid working policy to maintain the benefits of in-person collaboration, whilst allowing for the flexibility of remote work.
- An attractive benefits package, tailored to the location of the role.
- An organizational structure where your voice counts, and which is designed to maximize learning and collaboration, and minimize bureaucracy.
HOW TO APPLY
If interested, please follow the below link to apply.
Failure to do so may cause a delay in reviewing your application. Interviews with final candidates are required.
Required Application Documents:
- Brief Cover letter
Global Partnerships is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on ethnic origin/race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability, marital status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
Applications will be accepted and reviewed on a rolling basis. For priority consideration, please apply by February 10, 2023.
Due to the volume of applications, we will contact only those candidates selected for interviews – no follow-ups, please.
Finalists will be asked to submit references, including name, email, and phone number, of at least two former supervisors. All offers will be contingent upon reference checks as well as a background check.