The Aspen Institute
The Aspen Institute is a global nonprofit organization committed to realizing a free, just, and equitable society. Since its founding in 1949, the Institute has been driving change through dialogue, leadership, and action to help solve the most critical challenges facing communities in the United States and around the world. Headquartered in Washington, DC, the Institute has a campus in Aspen, Colorado, and an international network of partners.
Commitment to Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
To achieve our mission of a more free, just, and equitable society, we commit to working proactively to advance the principles of diversity, equity, and inclusion across our myriad endeavors such as the recruitment, compensation, training, and advancement of staff. The best people-serving institutions make this commitment, and we seek to be a leader in the ways that we do so and learn from others. Visit our website to learn more about our commitment and recent actions taken toward building and nurturing a diverse and inclusive environment.
The Aspen Network of Development Entrepreneurs (ANDE)
The Aspen Network of Development Entrepreneurs (ANDE) is a program within the Aspen Institute. ANDE is a global network of intermediary organizations that propel small business entrepreneurship in emerging markets with a strong focus on enhancing positive societal impact. ANDE members provide critical financial, educational, and business support services to small and growing businesses (SGBs) based on the conviction and evidence of the role of SGBs in job creation, stimulating long-term economic growth, and producing environmental and social benefits. Ultimately, we believe that SGBs can help lift countries out of poverty.
Launched with 34 members in 2009, ANDE now has nearly 250 members that collectively operate in more than 150 countries. Members of ANDE include both for profit and nonprofit investment funds, capacity development providers, research and academic institutions, development finance institutions, foundations and corporations from around the world.
With a U.S. team primarily based in Washington, D.C. and a network of eight chapters across key developing economies in Africa, The Americas and Asia, the ANDE team works hard to support members globally and locally and supports strong ecosystems for entrepreneurial growth and impact through its membership activities and range of global and regional projects. ANDE develops unique initiatives to address systemic challenges and seize opportunities that can only be approached through collective action.
The Aspen Network of Development Entrepreneurs (ANDE), a program of the Aspen Institute, is structured as a global membership network of organizations that propel entrepreneurship in developing economies.
ANDE is looking for a new Director of Membership and Programs to be based out of ANDE’s Washington, DC office.
Day to day work involves a wide variety of tasks Each day will be different, but this role will provide exposure to a wide variety of experience and topic areas throughout the small and growing business sector in developing countries.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Overseeing a team of five in DC and international project personnel focused on projects, membership and events.
- Working closely with the Executive Director to develop and implement global program strategy and work plan for the Membership and Programs department, and ANDE’s events roster.
- Ensuring that ANDE’s membership value proposition remains current and guiding the acquisition and renewal of network members. Ensuring the quality of ANDE’s data management related to membership records.
- Guiding the work of the Events Manager, in close consultation with the Executive Director, to develop and execute a suite of relevant events for ANDE, including the annual membership conference, which is being held in Ghana in 2023, London member meeting, investment manager training and other relevant program related events not directly tied to the work of chapters.
- Developing projects and guiding and overseeing all project implementation, including project design, budgets and implementation, together with regional chapter heads and other senior leadership.
- Contributing to project fundraising via donor cultivation especially among multilateral and bilateral donors. Maintaining effective communication with donors as well as translating donor requirements to project personnel in-country as needed.
- Ensuring that ANDE’s high reputation of quality project delivery is maintained with projects being delivered on time and within budget, through effective project management and planning.
- Participating as a member of ANDE’s leadership in the overall decision-making process for the program.
The ideal candidate for this role has the following desired skills/experience:
- Skilled professional with a minimum of eight years of program management in an international development focused nonprofit sector organization.
- Strong track record of engagement with USAID funding, and preferably other government and/or multilateral donors in small business development, or adjacent sectors related to entrepreneurship.
- Strong understanding of small and growing businesses in developing economies as a mechanism for economic growth and local development.
- Demonstrated expertise in at least one of ANDE’s core thematic priority areas, including climate and environmental action, gender equality and promoting decent work (jobs) strongly preferred.
- Prior experience directing or managing international teams on programs, projects, and events.
- Prior professional experience living and working in one or more of ANDE’s target markets in Africa, the Americas or Asia preferred.
- Project Management Professional or equivalent experience managing projects preferred.
- Able to represent ANDE at senior level and interface with external partners speaking knowledgeably on topics connected to the small and growing business sector.
- Bachelor’s degree required / Master’s degree in relevant area such as Business Administration, Finance or International Development preferred.
- Ability to travel internationally as needed (10-25%).
- Cross cultural competency.
- Highly organized, goal-oriented self-starter who excels at handling multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment and works well under pressure.
- Excellent spoken and written communications skills.
- Strong budgeting and financial management skills required.
- Second language skills especially Spanish, Portuguese and/or French a plus.
This is a hybrid position, with a minimum of two days per week in the DC office from January 2023.
The candidate will align with ANDE’s values. At ANDE we:
- Are motivated by the urgency of the global challenges we are trying to address
- Embrace diverse experiences and perspectives
- Value community and collaborative action
- Leverage limited resources for maximum impact
- Work hard and have fun
Application Instructions – please submit a cover letter including salary expectations, and a resume, through the online portal. Applications without cover letter and salary expectations will not be considered.
We are only recruiting candidates who are legally authorized to work in the US and those who do not require sponsorship.
The Aspen Institute offers a generous benefits package including health, dental, vision, and prescription benefits, retirement benefits, and paid leave.
The Aspen Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer and complies with all District and federal laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, or protected veteran or disabled status and will not be discriminated against.
Individuals needing an accommodation to complete the job application can contact HRSupport@aspeninstitute.org or call (202) 736-1074.