Since 1963 and in 148 countries, ACDI/VOCA has empowered people in developing and transitional nations to succeed in the global economy. Based in Washington, D.C., ACDI/VOCA is a nonprofit international development organization that designs and delivers technical and management solutions in agriculture, economic growth, and resilience to promote economic prosperity and social inclusion. Beyond our competitive compensation, full array of insurances, generous 401(k) plan, parental leave, commuter subsidy, career development, we also offer a vibrant, friendly, diverse, inclusive, passionate, and inspiring work environment.
The Associate Director is an integral part of the ACDI/VOCA’s Market and Food Systems Team within ACDI/VOCA’s Technical Learning and Application Department, a growing and dynamic group exploring the intersection of Private Sector Engagement, Market Systems Development, and Local Food systems- and where these intersect to promote inclusive economic growth. The Associate Director should have excellent analytical, writing and communication skills, curiosity for learning and exploration, and balance of strong self-initiative while being highly collaborative. Some familiarity with technical skills in private sector engagement, facilitation, and inclusive market-based approaches are also expected.
Duties and responsibilities will fall under three operational categories: project-level technical support and advisory services (approximately 40%), new business design and development (approximately 35%), and organization-wide learning, tool development, and other related initiatives (approximately 25%).
Project-Level Technical Support and Advisory Services
- Support the implementation of ACDI/VOCA’s Private Sector Engagement and Inclusive Market Systems Development Approaches through support to project teams.
- Provide ongoing, responsive technical support and guidance to projects to enhance quality application of ACDI/VOCA’s private sector engagement and inclusive market systems development approaches.
- Lead and/or oversee discrete and ongoing technical services collaboratively with project teams. This could include but is not limited to initial startup staff trainings, conducting private sector landscape assessments, assisting project teams with co-creation and co-design, helping teams manage for partnership health, market systems and value chain analyses, designing project strategies and facilitation activities, providing ongoing mentoring and technical guidance, annual work planning, and informing appropriate monitoring, evaluation and learning approaches.
- Build capacity of project teams to implement ACDI/VOCA’s private sector engagement and/or inclusive market systems approaches.
New Business Design and Development
- Provide technical guidance and leadership to new business teams, develop proposal content.
- Serve as lead technical/contributing writer, subject matter expert, or technical integrator.
- Help proposal teams gather and synthesize information to inform compelling technical design.
- Conduct desk and field private sector and market systems research and competition analyses.
- Support proposal management activities such as: identifying key personnel, overseeing external consultants, collaborating with partner organizations, and contributing to management plans.
Organization Wide Learning, Tool Development, and Outreach
- Promote and cultivate opportunities for learning and collaboration across the organization and with field offices.
- Provide leadership in promoting and enhancing ACDI/VOCA’s private sector engagement and/or inclusive market systems approaches.
- Organize and facilitate working groups and/or Communities of Practice around relevant technical topics.
- Develop new tools and provide support to updating existing tools and promoting these tools to field teams and external audiences.
- Promote a culture of learning and adaptation through gathering information and learning from field offices and sharing across the organization.
- Engage with donors, implementers, and other stakeholders to document, share, promote, and exchange learning, best practice, and experience from ACDI/VOCA’s portfolio.
- Participate in networking events, conferences, and donor outreach events.
- Engage in technically relevant communities of practice and/or working groups.
- Identify a range of partners and build effective professional partnerships to help ACDI/VOCA achieve its goals.
- Support and enhance the company’s culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion and align with our corporate values by treating others with respect and congeniality.
- Host or attend meetings in person as needed, when required.
- Other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. While the requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or ability required, reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant experience, including overseas work, in international development or related field.
- Master’s degree or equivalent in international development, agriculture, business, finance, economics or other related field. Equivalent combination of education and work experience may be substituted for a master’s degree.
- Demonstrated experience and technical knowledge in private sector engagement and/or market systems development related work, such as identifying and facilitating public and private sector partnerships, co-creating solutions with private sector actors, facilitating stakeholder consultation sessions, developing, and managing private sector partnerships, and leading market systems analyses and studies
- Demonstrated familiarity with current trends in private sector engagement and inclusive market systems and the shared strengths between the two, including finding shared value and designing for scale, sustainability, and systemic change through effective relationship management, diverse investment and partnering modalities, and analytical tools or consultation processes for getting to root causes, etc.
- Experience with knowing how to speak/engage with the private sector as well as quantitative and qualitative research methods and analysis, market systems resilience, and inclusive business models desired.
- Excellent writing and communication skills in English for writing proposals, reports, and papers.
- Strong interpersonal and team skills, with ability to work with individuals from diverse backgrounds and cultures and embrace innovation and creative thinking
- Fluency in English required. Foreign language fluency in French, Portuguese, or Spanish preferred.
- Must be available during core business hours and/or operating hours for international time differences; flexibility to work more hours when needed.
- Flexibility to work in office based on work demands.
- Ability and willingness to travel internationally required (approximately 25 percent); must be fully vaccinated against Covid-19.
- Must adhere to our company’s Health Safety Code of Conduct, fully vaccinated against COVID-19, or receive approved exception.