The Aspen Institute
The Aspen Institute is a global nonprofit organization committed to realizing a free, just, and equitable society. Since its founding in 1949, the Institute has been driving change through dialogue, leadership, and action to help solve the most critical challenges facing communities in the United States and around the world. Headquartered in Washington, DC, the Institute has a campus in Aspen, Colorado, and an international network of partners.
Commitment to Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
To achieve our mission of a more free, just, and equitable society, we commit to working proactively to advance the principles of diversity, equity, and inclusion across our myriad endeavors such as the recruitment, compensation, training, and advancement of staff. The best people-serving institutions make this commitment, and we seek to be a leader in the ways that we do so and learn from others. Visit our website to learn more about our commitment and recent actions taken toward building and nurturing a diverse and inclusive environment.
The Aspen Network of Development Entrepreneurs (ANDE) is a program within the Aspen Institute. ANDE is a global network of organizations that propel entrepreneurship in emerging markets. ANDE members provide critical financial, educational, and business support services to small and growing businesses (SGBs) based on the conviction that SGBs will create jobs, stimulate long-term economic growth, and produce environmental and social benefits. Ultimately, we believe that SGBs can help lift countries out of poverty.
Launched with 34 members in 2009, ANDE now comprises over 270 members who collectively operate in more than 150 countries. Members of ANDE include both for and nonprofit investment funds, capacity development providers, research and academic institutions, development finance institutions, foundations and corporations from around the world. Working out of an office in Washington, D.C. and eight offices in emerging markets, the ANDE team works hard to support members globally, and locally, while building strong ecosystems for entrepreneurial growth. ANDE develops unique initiatives to address systemic challenges and seize opportunities that can only be approached through collective action.
ANDE is looking for a new Global Events Manager, who will be based out of our Washington, DC office.
The ideal candidate will be excited about connecting with people from around the world and diverse cultures, taking on new tasks, challenges and eager to create great experiences for others, from executing on a well-planned event to curating great global and thematic conversations.
We are looking for the ultimate team player and leader, resourceful and great at taking charge to get things done by delegation and executing tasks with the project team.
The Events Manager will not only be great at the details, but also understands how small tasks can be essential to big, audacious goals like alleviating poverty and contribute to a better livelihood for an entrepreneur around the world in our focus regions in Africa, the Americas and Asia.
Day to day work involves a wide variety of tasks from event planning and management to working closely with members attending events, and improving event workflow and procedures. Each day will be different, but this role will provide exposure to a wide variety of skills experience and topic areas throughout the small and growing business sector in developing countries.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Day to day work involves in person management of convenings from 30 – 300+ people as well as working on some virtual events as needed.
- Leading in a global context on day-to-day event support like organizing an event or training in the U.S. or in Africa, the Americas or Asia with clear timelines, deliverables and communication.
- Overseeing ANDE’s current suite of global events including the Annual Conference, the largest event of the year of 300+ people bringing together ANDE members globally in person for networking and sector building, in addition to the overseeing the execution of smaller events like ANDE’s London Member Meeting (100 people), ANDE’s Metrics from the Ground Up Conference (100 people) and a few professional trainings like the Investment Manager Training (30 people) throughout the year. Guiding ANDE on further development of its suite of events, based on industry evolving practices.
- Working in collaboration with regional chapter teams which vary by event/training and typically includes an administrative support staff person. The event manager does not have direct managerial responsibilities for regional events.
- Each day will be different, but this role will provide exposure to a wide variety of skills experience and topic areas throughout the small and growing business sector in developing countries, as well as ANDE’s key thematic focus areas including driving climate action, gender equality and decent work and economic growth.
The ideal candidate for this role has the following desired skills/experience:
- Skilled professional Event Organizer with 3-5 years of experience with international events as a major portion of experience. Bonus if experience with a membership based or network building organization.
- Experience running interactive events (including virtual)– more discussion than presentation based.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Organized, proactive, goal-oriented and excels at handling multiple priorities at once.
- Has strong customer service orientation: Can represent ANDE to high level event participants, including VIPs, support ANDE staff as internal clients, and interface with external vendors.
- Has significant event management experience and can demonstrate ability to plan and execute events in different countries of varying size and scope.
- Is a true team player and is excited about engaging with many cultures and learning about the small and growing business sector.
- Is able to listen to and take into consideration multiple perspectives in order to create the most inclusive and representative event.
- Plans and manages an event budget, can work with others on conceptualizing sponsorship opportunities for revenue generation, and ensure the event is run within budget.
- Is a self-starter who is very adaptable and demonstrates flexibility.
- The successful candidate will ideally have a track record in international development, impact investment or small business development in event management.
- Well-developed writing and people skills. Ability to work effectively and diplomatically with senior leaders.
- Ability to travel internationally as needed, up to 25% of the time.
- Cross cultural competency or willingness to learn to work across cultures.
- Second language skills such as Spanish, Portuguese or French a plus.
Application Instructions – please submit a cover letter including salary expectations, and a resume, through the online portal. Applications without cover letter and salary expectations will not be considered.
The Aspen Institute offers a generous benefits package including health, dental, vision, and prescription benefits, retirement benefits, and paid leave.
The Aspen Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer and complies with all District and federal laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, or protected veteran or disabled status and will not be discriminated against.
Individuals needing an accommodation to complete the job application can contact HRSupport@aspeninstitute.org or call (202) 736-1074.