The Aspen Institute
The Aspen Institute is a global nonprofit organization committed to realizing a free, just, and equitable society. Since its founding in 1949, the Institute has been driving change through dialogue, leadership, and action to help solve the most critical challenges facing communities in the United States and around the world. Headquartered in Washington, DC, the Institute has a campus in Aspen, Colorado, and an international network of partners.
Commitment to Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
To achieve our mission of a more free, just, and equitable society, we commit to working proactively to advance the principles of diversity, equity, and inclusion across our myriad endeavors such as the recruitment, compensation, training, and advancement of staff. The best people-serving institutions make this commitment, and we seek to be a leader in the ways that we do so and learn from others. Visit our website to learn more about our commitment and recent actions taken toward building and nurturing a diverse and inclusive environment.
The Aspen Network of Development Entrepreneurs (ANDE)
The Aspen Network of Development Entrepreneurs (ANDE) is a program within the Aspen Institute. The Aspen Network of Development Entrepreneurs (ANDE) is a global network of organizations that propel entrepreneurship in emerging markets. ANDE members provide critical financial, educational, and business support services to small and growing businesses (SGBs) based on the conviction that SGBs will create jobs, stimulate long-term economic growth, and produce environmental and social benefits. Ultimately, we believe that SGBs can help lift countries out of poverty. Launched with 34 members in 2009, ANDE now comprises nearly 300 members who collectively operate in more than 150 countries.
ANDE is looking for a Finance Coordinator, based in Nairobi, Kenya. This is a full-time position.
The Finance Coordinator will report to the Senior Finance Manager and will perform a broad range of budgeting, accounting, and financial functions for ANDE’s Africa region. The ideal candidate will have demonstrated knowledge of general accounting and finance practices, excellent interpersonal skills with and a proactive work style. They will be a self-starter, motivated, organized, and have a proven track record with taking initiative and completing tasks on time.
- Maintain ANDE-internal project-related records, including contracts, invoices, and receipts
- Collect and document all employee receipts and review employee expense reports prior to submission for payment, ensuring compliance with travel policies and grant requirements
- Serve as the point person to submit requests for payment to local host and authorize the transfer of expenses into and out of project-related accounts
- Review employee travel advances, expense reports, timesheets, and general expenses
- Maintain ANDE-internal vendor payment trackers and outstanding account payables
- Ensure all expenses are allocated to correct funding sources in ANDE-internal documentation
- Serve as the point person to manage project bank accounts, request payments from local host
- Input transactions into monthly ANDE-internal excel based financial tracking database, allocating expenses across a variety of funding sources and reconciling with local host records and bank accounts
- Prepare monthly allocation of Labor and central expenses to respective account codes
- Prepare ANDE-internal grant-related invoices and sub-recipient reporting templates
- Maintain up to date and accurate forecasting in forecasting templates
- The work routine involves flexible hours to enable communications with our international staff, particularly our Finance Department in our Washington, D.C.
- Bachelor’s degree (B.S.) in Accounting or Finance with 2-4 years of experience
- Extensive experience with financial record keeping, budgets, accounts payable procedures, and resolving variances
- Strong Microsoft Excel skills
- Is highly detailed oriented, organized, and able to remain focused in the face of multiple competing priorities
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Experience working with an international organization highly preferred
This position will be hired for and be an employee of a local partner in Kenya and is open to local candidates only.
The Institute has implemented a mandatory COVID vaccination policy for all employees who will work at one of our physical locations, attend any of our in-person events or travel on behalf of the Institute. Staff unable to be vaccinated may request an exemption under certain circumstances.
The Aspen Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer and complies with all District and federal laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, or protected veteran or disabled status and will not be discriminated against.