Since 1963 and in 148 countries, ACDI/VOCA has empowered people in developing and transitional nations to succeed in the global economy. Based in Washington, D.C., ACDI/VOCA is a nonprofit international development organization that designs and delivers technical and management solutions in agriculture, economic growth, and resilience to promote economic prosperity and social inclusion. Beyond our competitive compensation, full array of insurances, generous 401(k) plan, parental leave, commuter subsidy, career development, we also offer a vibrant, friendly, diverse, inclusive, passionate, and inspiring work environment.
The Director is an integral part of the ACDI/VOCA’s Partnerships and Investment team, a dynamic group exploring the frontiers of impact investing, blended finance and innovative finance – and where these intersect with economic development and market systems development. The Director is responsible for designing and implementing initiatives of ACDI/VOCA’s impact investment and blended finance initiatives with its subsidiary AV Ventures in West and East Africa; supporting other AV Ventures team members in Central Asia and other locales; and providing advisory services on access to finance, leveraging private capital, and catalyzing investment on ACDI/VOCA’s projects and proposals.
Implement business plans for AV Ventures’ investment vehicles
- With guidance from Managing Director of Partnerships and Investment, lead Home Office support of AV Ventures investment funds in West and East Africa
- Support on Home Office oversight of AV Ventures investment fund in Central Asia
- Lead fundraising efforts for AV Venture’s West Africa impact investing fund and work with in-country and HQ teams and oversee consultants hired to fundraise
Project Advisory and New Business Development
- Provide technical guidance and oversight to projects focused on blended finance, impact investment, agribusiness financing, access to finance, financial inclusion, enterprise development and public/private partnership initiatives
- Support business development proposals for ACDI/VOCA, specifically related to access to finance
- Pursue new business opportunities with traditional and non-traditional donors, foundations, corporations and investors for funding opportunities
Internal Learning and Support
- Contribute to corporate culture of learning
- Share technical learning and teach others to be leaders in impact investment Ability to host or attend in person meetings when required
- Engage in relevant associations, fora, etc.
- Foster collaboration and collegiality across work groups including field offices
- Support and enhance the company’s culture of diversity, equity and inclusion and align with our corporate values by treating others with respect and congeniality
- Other duties as assigned
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required; reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Master’s degree required in business administration, finance, economics, international development, or related field
- Minimum of seven years’ experience, including overseas work, in impact investment, international finance, commercial agribusiness, and/or international development required
- Significant work experience in private equity, investment strongly preferred
- Proven experience fundraising among private, public, and DFI investors for impact investment funds and blended finance investment vehicles is strongly preferred
- Highly effective oral communication and writing skills in English. Fluency and ability to write in French, Russian or Spanish is a plus
- Strong interpersonal and team skills, with ability to work with individuals from diverse backgrounds and cultures and embrace innovation and creative thinking
- Demonstrated leadership and team building skills, particularly leading cross-departmental and international groups
- Experience with Microsoft Excel, especially financial modeling
- Must be available during core business hours and/or operating hours for international time differences; flexibility to work more hours when needed
- Flexibility to work in office based on work demands
- Ability and willingness to travel internationally required; must be fully vaccinated against Covid 19
- Must adhere to our company’s Health Safety Code of Conduct