Senior Project Policy Officer / Energy Policy Manager
About the Firm
Founded in 2011, CrossBoundary is a mission-driven investment firm committed to unlocking the power of capital for sustainable growth and strong returns in underserved markets. CrossBoundary provides transaction and investment advisory services, having developed a specialized expertise in unleashing investment across all sectors in these markets. Our advisory clients include governments, development finance institutions, private equity firms, Fortune 100 companies, and research institutions. Learn more at www.crossboundary.com
In 2015 CrossBoundary founded its first direct investment vehicle, CrossBoundary Energy (CBE). Operated out of Nairobi, Kenya, CBE is the continent’s first and largest owner & operator of distributed solar PV installations for African corporates, providing cheaper and cleaner energy to African businesses through Power Purchase Agreements (PPAs). CBE currently manages a 30MW portfolio of solar PV assets awarded, under construction, or operational and is actively developing a larger portfolio across Kenya, Rwanda, Ghana, Nigeria, Sierra Leone, and other African countries. Learn more at www.crossboundaryenergy.com.
CrossBoundary Energy is recruiting a full-time Senior Project Policy Officer to support CBE’s pan-African energy regulatory engagement strategy. We are seeking a resourceful and creative analyst to assist in presenting CBE’s vision for changing how African governments view distributed energy. The Policy Officer will identify energy license requirements for CBE’s distributed energy projects in diverse jurisdictions, assisting project teams to perform required analyses, compile documents, and manage licensing timelines. This person will also conduct desktop research and consult with in-country experts to validate the business environment for distributed energy resources in new markets. This person will also help carry out strategic activities to secure our solar business models for the long-term across Africa, including advocacy for appropriate net-metering, captive power, and power wheeling approaches across East and West Africa. We expect the Policy Officer’s work to contribute to directly shaping the future of distributed energy deployment on the continent. This person will report to the Head of Energy Policy & Regulatory Affairs and collaborate regularly with the business development, project development, legal, and asset management functions on strategy and compliance topics.
CrossBoundary is an investment firm – CBE will look to you for practical insights on how to make discrete business decisions that will directly affect our financial outcomes.
Who We Are
The CrossBoundary team is a unique group of people who are genuinely excited by the opportunity to make a difference in some of the most challenging and exciting markets in the world. Team members come from diverse backgrounds but share several qualities: curiosity, humility, integrity, a drive for excellence, and a bias for action.
Who You Are
• Excellent. Self-starter who is passionate about creating lasting change in underserved markets. You hold yourself to a high standard of “brilliance in the basics” for tasks large and small
• Finds Strength in Diversity. Skilled at creating professional relationships across countries, personalities, and the political spectrum to achieve a positive impact
• Humble. Thrives in a non-hierarchical, collaborative environment and welcomes input on their approach from any teammate. There is nothing you’d task someone else to do that you wouldn’t do yourself
• Acts Like an Owner. Takes personal accountability for delivering success. Identifies and acts on opportunities to influence outcomes rather than waiting for others
• Thinks Deliberately. A practical thinker known for choosing the simple, robust solution where more complicated approaches would deliver the same results. Both your oral and written communications are clear, concise, and always accurate
• Relentlessly Curious. A diligent, patient researcher; you have the composure and skill to approach a problem from many angles until you can unlock a solution. You persevere and find a way
• Biased to Action. High tolerance for ambiguity and an ability to operate effectively in a changing context. You are eager to take on new types of work, even without prior experience or direct supervision
• Prioritizes Results: Systematic and highly organized project manager; you can track multiple activities across diverse workstreams while delivering results on time
• Authentically Cares: You approach your professional relationships with empathy and do not consider people as simply a means to an end
• Champions Integrity: Ethical and highly principled; you hold yourself to rigorous international standards for anti-bribery and anti-corruption without exception
• Analyze laws and regulations relevant to CBE’s business in existing markets to advise project development teams on potential impacts to project schedule and budget
• Analyze laws and regulations relevant to CBE’s business in new markets to advise business development team on product strategy
• Identify patterns across energy regulatory frameworks across the continent
• Proactively investigate emerging policy risks to CBE’s business and share summary of potential impacts and mitigations with manager
• Support in preparation and submission of project and business licensing materials in various countries, including required financial analyses where required
• Develop timelines and process maps to describe routine license procedures and track pending licenses to completion
• Deepen and maintain personal relationships with officers on energy regulatory commissions and energy decision-makers across 2-3 jurisdictions in order to facilitate processing of license applications and gather information on emerging business risks and opportunities
• Deepen and maintain existing CBE relationships within the energy industry across 2-3 jurisdictions. Cultivate new peer relationships with industry stakeholders in these countries.
• Develop robust understanding of leading energy companies in all jurisdictions
• Populate CBE’s internal database of laws and regulations across all markets, ensuring that our information is current and relevant to project development teams
• Collaborate with local policy consultants on specific advocacy or project permitting objectives
The ideal candidate will have the following skills and qualifications:
• 3+ years’ experience at a leading multinational professional services firm, policy research or consulting institution, or infrastructure firm, including experience on energy projects
• Experience advising or implementing distributed energy projects, as distinct from utility-scale (i.e., captive, commercial-industrial, mini-grids)
• Existing familiarity with the key terms of power purchase agreements and the business models of independent power producers
• LLB, political science, or public policy bachelors’ degree
• Professional fluency in French
Required skills and qualifications:
• 1+ years’ experience at a leading multinational professional services firm, policy research or consulting institution, or infrastructure firm, including experience in highly regulated sectors in underserved markets
• 1+ years’ business experience in Africa or on Africa-based projects
• Specific insight about how policy engagement by private businesses can successfully shape national market environments
• Professional fluency in English. Expert and professional communicator in Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, etc.)
• Bachelors’ degree in relevant field
Think you have what it takes but not sure you check every box? Research shows that while men apply to roles when they meet an average of 60% of the criteria, women often only apply when they meet all requirements. If you’re passionate about what we’re building, send us your resume and a note to firstname.lastname@example.org. We’re always looking to meet great people!
Candidates may join our team in any of our Africa office locations: Dakar, Johannesburg, Lagos, Nairobi, Mapou (Mauritius), or Tunis. Occasional business travel is expected.
Equal Opportunity Employer
CrossBoundary is an equal opportunity employer. Women, minorities, and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to email@example.com
Interested candidates should apply at https://www.crossboundary.com/careers/.