MovingWorlds operates a global platform that convenes partners from all sectors to build a more equitable, just, and sustainable economy by empowering social enterprises, and the people working with — and within — them.
Our efforts are helping accelerate the progress of the global social enterprise movement and enabling more people to work in world-positive careers. We operate a portfolio of programs for individuals, corporations, and capacity-building organizations. While our experteering platform was launched nearly a decade ago and remains in operation, our growth is being driven through our corporate skills-based volunteering + leadership programs with companies like Microsoft, PayPal, SAP, Unilever, and more, as well as through our MovingWorlds Institute Global Fellowship, which helps individuals advance their for-impact careers. Our latest program, the TRANSFORM Support Hub, just launched in partnership with SAP, Unilever, TRANSFORM, the World Economic Forum, and more, and is drastically improving our ability to support changemakers around the world.
We have experienced double-digit growth the last two years, and even faster growth during this crisis. We are already in contract to grow even more this year and have big plans for 2023 and beyond!
Help MovingWorlds accelerate its growth and impact by improving, designing, and building technology needed to deliver world-positive programs.
Job Description & Impact
We are looking for someone that loves building software for the web and wants to use these skills to help MovingWorlds grow, improve, and ultimately, be more impactful.
Working directly with our Director of Engineering, your primary tasks will include:
- Ship improvements on our AWS NodeJS existing website, with the goal of assuming ownership over the codebase
- Continue to manage and optimize PostgreSQL database, analyze and extract data
- Integrate our platform and database with a variety, and likely continuously evolving set of other web-apps: Zoho One apps, telemetry tools (Segment, Google Analytics), Discourse, Teamie LMS
- Collaborate with our Director of Engineering to plan and then build our next generation platform to support our scaling company
In your first 100 days, you can expect to:
- Collaborate with our Director of Engineering to understand key software ecosystem we use
- Work with our software engineer, head of product, as well as QA lead
- Analyze code on most critical existing features, and provide suggestions
- Participate in design and planning sessions for Tech department
- Execute code changes, conduct code reviews
- Setup performance metrics, tests, and alerts on key workflows
As time goes on, we expect this role to continue to evolve with you and the company’s growth.
Skills and experience
We are looking for a software engineer with a proven understanding of core computer science concepts.
Currently, MovingWorlds uses the following suite of tools. While we don’t expect you to have experience with them all, previous experience in website coding frameworks and API integration is a must:
- A custom web application and CMS built on NodeJS (HAPI) with a PostgreSQL database and Redis cache
- AWS Elastic Beanstalk, Route53, RDS, ElastiCache, EC2, S3, VPC stack
- GIT Source Code repository
- Bootstrap + JQuery frontend engine (Jade/Pug templating engine on server side), SCSS/Gulp for CSS packing
- Contentful CMS model
- Zoho (including CRM, Flow, Forms, Sign, Campaigns, Desk, Survey) – business low-code apps
- Skyvia data integration tool
- Segment telemetry services
- Google Analytics
- Google Apps / Suite / Drive – business operations software
- Zapier – workflow automation tool
- Mandrill/Mailchimp – transactional emails engine
- Slack – internal comms
- Jira – SCRUM process
- Teamie – community & LMS platform
- Discourse – open source community platform
Our ideal candidate will have experience with some of these (or similar) tools/frameworks. More important, however, is a strong desire to learn and to be an individual contributor in a very central/important role.
Work Location & Travel
MovingWorlds is a global, virtual team with presence in Seattle, USA; Houston, USA; Washington, D.C., USA; Medellin, Colombia; Algarve, Portugal; Beirut, Lebanon and São Paulo, Brazil. Ideally you will be in one of these locations, but you can work from anywhere provided you overlap with our working time zones.
We will prioritize candidates that are based in EST time zone. Our current clients are as far west as Seattle and as far East as Nairobi. Your home base should be between those locations for the optimal working hours.
Screening Process & Equity Statement
Our team is international with team members working from four continents and a diverse set of skills. While we pride ourselves on supporting a very diverse community, we are also increasing our investment and education for our own team, as well as building a team that is more representative of the diverse community we serve. As of 2022, we have implemented new policies, including attempting to eliminate bias out of our hiring process. This is done with:
- All applications will be analyzed using a set standard based on the skills outlined above
- Structured interviews with set questions across candidates are conducted to assess against predetermined role requirements
- The hiring process will involve a skills-test that will be benchmarked against a set standard and reviewed by a panel
Range $40-70 USD /h market rate depending on the skills level and experience aligned with the current technological stack
- Start date: ASAP
- Hours per week: 30-40 (flexible)
- Length: 3 months with possibility of hiring full-time
We’re growing as an organization, but we stay focused on making sure we care for ourselves and each other, too. Any of our new team members will tell you that we’re different… open, vulnerable, transparent, collaborative, very growth-minded, and a little goofy. Here are a few more tangible benefits of joining our one-of-a-kind team:
- Award-winning culture – we were ranked by Escape the City as the #2 company in the world to “Escape to”, and have some other big news that we’ll be sharing soon 🙂 We were founded to create a real impact AND operate in a highly ethical and sustainable way and we are committed to achieving both
- Friday Monthly Mental – No meetings on the last Friday of every month, so that you can do whatever you need to do to take care of your mental wellbeing
- Recognition of all holidays where you live
- 15 vacation days in addition to the monthly mental and local holidays + sick days as needed
- $100 per month work from home office stipend
- Health insurance plan/stipend that keeps increasing and improving as we grow (when hired full time)
- Annual device credit (when hired full time)
- A peer-coaching culture so that you can keep growing (when hired full time)
- Parental leave policy (when hired full time)
- Excellent communication across the company, including a “user manual” for every team member (when hired full time)
- Networking opportunities with our global network (when hired full time)
- Guided mentorship process to help you find and make the most of a mentoring relationship (when hired full time)
- Retirement plan matching (when hired full time)
Social Impact Commitment
As a “social purpose corporation” (aka Benefit Corporation) we exist to create positive social and environmental impact alongside profit. We do this work to help accelerate the progress of a more impactful, global social enterprise movement that employs more people in world-positive jobs. We absolutely look for mission alignment from all our team members.